REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU STAND FOR

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Learning anything new lately?....

If you have a voice of thunder,
why not be Superman as well =)
By golly, I have been actually haha. Since I have been here on my mission, I have had the chance to pick up some ASL (American Sign Language).  It is way awesome; my missionary companion and I, Elder Edmons, are continuing to learn more, and starting on Sunday, are going to serve in a couple of deaf wards to get to work with a lot more members that way. Being here in this mission brings so many opportunities that otherwise would never be possible, and this is just another great blessing of being called to serve here.  If I could, I would learn every language I could, to be able to teach even more people about the gospel.  But seeing my English grades from school, I figured I should keep working on it, but with ASL, it's a whole new way of communicating, and uses the language I already know. "Oh that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people! Yea, I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and come unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth." (Alma 29:1-2).
I think this is the only mission that comes close to that desire that Alma had to preach to all, because here I am able to reach and talk to people over all the expanses of the world, and how blessed it is to be called here to preach of Christ. So this will be pretty exciting to do for the remainder of my mission (along with teaching in English still too), and something that can help out later in life as well.  I know that this is Christ's church, and that He is our Savior and Redeemer.  Without Christ, nothing would be possible and all would be for not. He is central to all that we have here in the world, and all that we can have from our Father in Heaven.  He is the base of my life, and the foundation of all that I believe in.  I know that He lives, and that He loves all of us, that He loves you.

And here is a funny ASL joke I found too =)

A female missionary who worked with Deaf returned home. She gave her "missionary report" to the congregation. In the audience were some of the male missionaries she knew from her mission. The guy missionaries were called Elders. These Elders were deaf. 
Because she worked somewhat with the deaf elders and learned some sign language on her mission she decided to sign part of her talk. 
She thought she had signed "I really loved 'working' with the Deaf Elders." 
The former Elders in the audience burst out laughing 
She was embarrassed a bit but finished her talk--then went down to the elders to confront them as to why they laughed. 
They explained the sign she used was similar to work but actually meant "make out" (as in necking).

No comments:

Post a Comment