REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU STAND FOR

Thursday, March 24, 2011

What is love...?

Christ cleaning the disciples feet
There are many things that God has taught, that can be a blessing for us, that can help us to feel of His love, and to come closer to Him.  One of the biggest things that God taught all throughout history, and that Christ emphasized, was to love one another; to have charity, and to respect.  When we look back on the life of Christ, there are many examples of that, through which we can learn and apply to our own lives.
He often showed His love for all of the people around us, and strived to
serve them and help them to know of His love for them.  Such as in John 13;
"After that He poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded."
I know most people are not the biggest fans of feet.  Now imagine walking everyday in sandals, through deserts, with all of that sand.  Not having showers, or soaking in a bath tub.  And Christ kneels down, and washes the feet of His disciples, and dried them with the clothes He was wearing.
I recently as well started reading back through the New Testament; and there is one thing that stands out to me that occurs a lot.  That as there are many multitudes following Christ, and asking for things, it tells of how "He had compassion on them," and would then heal them, pray for them, teach them, feed them, and various other things of which to help them and bring joy in their lives.  Christ had that compassion at times when the disciples sent others away, when the people were wicked or looked down upon by the general population, and loved all.
Upon being asked of "Which is the great commandment in the law?" (Matt 22:36)
"And Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord they God with all they heart, and with all they soul, and with all thy mind.  This is the first and great commandment.  And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love they neighbour as thyself."
Most people know and remember what is referred to as, "the golden rule", of how we need to love others. I know that as we love others, we are also showing love to our Father in Heaven.  And as we seek to emulate that charity to others in all the actions of our lives, we will not only be able to feel ever stronger the love God has for us, but to receive an even great amount of joy.  And to end, here is a story that I love a lot, that shows some about manners, and what they really mean.
Manners can still be shown
What message is sent by good manners
"One of my white students entered an elevator that I was in already, and I removed my hat.
'Dr. Proctor,' She said, 'Why did you take your hat off when I got in the elevator? You're living in the Victorian age.' She laughed congenially.
'If You'll get off the elevator with me for a moment, I'll tell you.'
At my stop, we both stepped off.
'I'm not a Victorian,' I said, 'But some things stay in place from one generation to another, and certain manners stand for values that I hold dear. I believe that a society that ceases to respect women is on its way out.  Woman bear and raise our children, they are bound to them in early infancy; they need our support and security through this process.  When we forget that, the keystone of family and home is lost.  When we neglect and abuse women, the family falls apart and children are less well parented, and they fill up the jails and are buried in early graves.  I believe that respect for women is the linch pin of the family and the society.  Therefore, when you entered the elevator, I wanted you to have automatic, immediate, unqualified assurance that if the elevator caught fire, I would help you out through the top first.  If a strange man boarded and began to slap you around and tear your clothes off, he would have to kill me first.  If the elevator broke down and stopped between floors, I would not leave you in there.  If you fainted and slumped to the floor, I would stop everything and get you to to a hospital.  Now, it would take a lot of time to say all of that, so when I removed my hat, I meant all of the above.'
Tears sprang to her eyes.  There are some values that abide.  They have no racial or ethical label."
-Samuel DeWitt Proctor

1 comment:

  1. Wow. The savior was certainly an excellent example of service, especially towards women. His example of care and attention to Mary and Marth and the Samaritan woman at the well are good for us to emulate. I agree that anyone who is not courteous towards women is on the declining edge of society and certainly not emulating the Savior.

    ReplyDelete