REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU STAND FOR

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

When the going gets rough...

When Jesus was on the earth, He did many things, in striving to help us to learn of our Father in Heaven, and the plan of which He has that can bring us happiness in our lives.  Christ was always showing people how we can gain more joy in our lives, through coming unto Him, and in following our Father in Heaven. These are some of the most comforting words that He has given;
At times, the odds may seem tough
Matthew 11:28-30
28-Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29-Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30-For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Now lets look at this....
Christ tells us "for my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.".  When Elder Bednar was here, he brought up some things that stood out a lot to me, and showed more of what this really means.  All of us have trials in our lives that we go through, hardships, temptations, trials, things that make part of our life harder, and in which we begin to wonder how we can go through these things by ourselves. What sunk in for me, is what it means for the burden to be light and easy.  We can see time and time again of examples of people whom had trials, and at times where they felt alone and without hope. One example from scripture of that, is in Mosiah chapter 24, where Alma and the people were being persecuted because of their beliefs, and this is what the Lord told them;

Mosiah 24:13-15
13-And it came to pass that the voice of the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage.
14-And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions.
15-And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord.
He is waiting to help, but you open the door

In this, the Lord did not say that your burdens are gone, but told them that the burdens on their shoulders would be eased, "that even you cannot feel them upon your backs". So they still had those burdens, but "yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease". They still had those burdens on their shoulders, but they were given strength.  The load 'weighed' the same, but they were made easy, because they were made stronger.  It is by having weight that you must carry that strength comes. We gain strength through Christ and carrying the pack, those burdens that we do have to go through. We all go through trials, and have hardships in our lives, and the thing we need to remember, is that we cannot go through it alone.  Now who is there to help you at all times?  The one person that never leaves, and understand perfectly what you may be feeling or going through, it is our Savior, Jesus Christ. I have seen that so much throughout my life, and realizing it even more as I look back, to see how much strength I have, not of myself, but from our Savior.  In being able to accomplish or do things that I would never otherwise be able to do.  Remember that you are never alone, because He is there, and finding Him is as far as a prayer away.





1 comment:

  1. The burdens or trials that we experience give us the opportunity for growth. When we take the “yoke” upon us and let the Lord guide us through them we learn to become humble, meek, submissive and teachable. We allow the Lord to lead us with His steady hand, making our paths straight like furrows in the ground. We learn to conform to His will and not be unruly and stubborn. We learn to work together and become a Zion people. These trials, when faced with the Savior can become ways to grow closer to Him. Thank goodness for a hard road which allows growth.

    ReplyDelete